We deal with a range of applications under the Points-Based System (PBS). If you are hoping to come to the United Kingdom to pursue a business venture, invest, study or to work, your application may be dealt with in this way. Please read the relevant sub-section to see what is required of you to start an application, and if you believe that you are eligible, do not hesitate to contact us.
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Category
The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category is designed for those 'who are in discussions with venture capitalists or UK government departments to join, set up or take over - and be actively involved in the running of - a business in the UK' (UKBA). This is the applicant's primary intention.
There are several requirements an entrepreneur must fulfil to qualify for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa under the UK points-based system. These include the following:
- Applicants must score a minimum of 95 points for attributes including investment funds, English language and maintenance.
Upon fulfilling such requirements, a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa entitles the holder to reside and run their business in the UK. Further entitlements include:
- A Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa is usually granted for an initial period not exceeding 6 months and extensions may be granted.
- Spouses and unmarried children under 18 years of age may be included on the visa application to accompany their spouse or parent to the UK.
- The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa may lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which entitles individuals to permanent residency in the UK.
Tier 1 (Investor) Category
The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for high-net worth individuals who wish to live and invest a substantial sum of their wealth in the UK. All applications are based on the applicant's ability to invest £2,000,000 in the UK.
Usually, under the points-based system, applicants must demonstrate their English language ability and show that they have enough money to support themselves. Investors will not need to meet these requirements. However, there are several other requirements an investor must fulfil in order to qualify for a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa under the UK points-based system. These are as follows:
- Applicants must score a minimum of 75 points for attributes including the amount to be invested.
- To score points for investment, applicants must have:£2,000,000 or more available to invest in the UK; or £2,000,000 or more in personal assets..The funds must be held in a regulated financial institution and be disposable in the UK.
- Applicants must score a minimum of 40 points for attributes including confirmation of acceptance for studies and maintenance (30 points under paragraphs 113 to 120 of Appendix A and 10 points under paragraphs 10 to 14 of Appendix C).
- Applicants must have been accepted to study a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (sponsor).
- Applicants must have acceptable English language skills to obtain a valid confirmation of acceptance for their studies.
- A Tier 4 (Adult) Student visa is usually granted for the full length of the course of study and extensions may be granted.
- A Tier 4 (Adult) Student visa also entitles the holder to undertake limited work in the UK, depending on the level of their study.
- Spouses and unmarried children under 18 years of age may apply to accompany their spouse or parent to the UK only if the applicant is undertaking a course at National Qualifications Framework level 7 (or above) at a higher education institution for at least 12 months or is a new government-sponsored student undertaking a course for at least 6 months.
- Applicants must score a minimum of 40 points for attributes including confirmation of acceptance for studies and maintenance [as with the Tier 4 (General) category].
- Applicants must have been accepted to study a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (sponsor) to obtain a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies.
- Tier 4 (Child) Student visa applicants cannot have any children who live with them or for whom they are financially responsible.
- A Tier 4 (Child) Student visa is usually granted for the full length of the course of study plus four months after the end of the course and extensions may be granted.
- A parent of a Tier 4 (Child) Student visa holder under the age of 12 years may accompany them to the UK by applying for a Parent of a Child at School Visa**.
- You should apply under Tier 2 of the points-based system if you are a highly skilled worker who is currently living abroad or in the UK in a different immigration category.
- If you are already in the UK under the HSMP and your permission to stay will soon expire, you must apply to switch into Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system in order to remain here.
- If you have been in the UK for 5 years, you may be able to apply to settle here permanently.
- The basic requirement for this visa is to score a minimum of 70 points for attributes including sponsorship, qualifications, prospective earnings, English language and available maintenance.
- Only once a prospective employee has been allocated a certificate of sponsorship, will he or she be eligible to apply for UK entry clearance or leave to remain in the UK.